I’ve blogged for business clients including Lending Tree, American Express, and Dun & Bradstreet. I built and sold a blog-based business that amassed 1400+ posts, Make a Living Writing. At its height, MALW had nearly 1 million annual readers.
My blog channel on Forbes, The Franchise Files, drew nearly 3 million visitors in 3 years, with just 177 posts.
A selection of my most popular Forbes posts:
- 7 Fast-Food Restaurant Chains That Rake In $2M+ Per Store (400K+ views)
- Meet the 8 Hottest Publicly Traded Marijuana Companies (300K+ views)
- Bootstrap Startup: Inside a $13K Restaurant Opening (170K+ views)
- Million Dollar Burger: The Best Fast-Food Franchises to Own (160K+ views)
- 12 Best Fast-Food Franchises to Own (900K+ views)
- Top 10 Global Fast-Food Chains (500K+ views)
- The 9 Fastest-Growing Fast-Food Chains (460K+ views)
I was the anchor blogger for Entrepreneur magazine’s Daily Dose blog for more than three years, posting three times a week or more. Here’s one of my more popular posts, about the Occupy movement, which received more than 2,000 retweets. This one, on business-blog topic ideas, also got 2,000 retweets. For about a year, I also wrote a Reality Check column, on business-related reality TV shows such as Shark Tank.
- Is Your Startup Ready for Equity Crowdfunding? 7 Questions to Ask
If all you know of crowdfunding for startups is the world of Kickstarter, you’re missing out on a booming opportunity to raise money online.
- Shark Tank‘s Celebrity Investors Share Their Business Secrets
Boy, this was fun, interviewing all the billionaires on Shark Tank. Favorite quote? “They’re dead to me…”
- Blank Label’s Shanghai Adventure
Well, here’s one way to get your startup’s team to bond — have them all move into an apartment together…in Shanghai.
- Kickstarter and the ‘Donation’ Fundraising Model
Hot new way to get money for your business.
- US Microfinance Gets a Needed Boost
New funding for smaller business loans.
- Tapping 401(k) Money for Your Business? Be Wary
The IRS’s dim view of ROBS transactions.
- ‘The Gulf Oil Spill: What Disaster Planning is All About
What you can — and can’t — do to protect your business from the unimaginable.
- The Business Boot Camp for Saving the World
The Unreasonable Institute’s boot camp for startups with a social mission
- Young Entrepreneurs Grow Their Business With Crowdsourcing
Quirky, Groupon, and other cool crowdsourcing companies.
- Using Income Statement Ratio Analysis to Stay on Track
If you’re not using ratio analysis on your business, this technique will blow your mind.
Career & Job stories
- Emerging Jobs in Social Media (AOL Jobs)
- Recession-Proof Jobs in Infrastructure (AOL Jobs)
- Highest-Paying Trades (AOL Jobs)
- 7 Unusual Work-At-Home Jobs (AOL Jobs)
- 8 Jobs That Are in High Demand for the Future (PayScale)
- Well-Paid Jobs That Won’t Be Outsourced (PayScale)
- Training for Green: Useful Certificates and Degrees (PayScale)
Copyblogger guest posts
- 50 Can’t-Fail Techniques for Finding Great Blog Topics (featured in Best of Copyblogger 2010)
- 5 Steps to Captivating Readers With Your Secret Message
- The Secret Weapon That Makes Your Content Successful
- 40 Questions You Need to Ask Every Copywriting Client
- 5 Ways to Quickly Write High-Quality Content
Surety Bonds Insider
- Dishonesty bonds vs business service bonds: Does your business need both?
- Surety bond to keep US Forumula One racing hopes alive
- Fake surety bonds part of stimulus-funded contractor fraud problem
- 10 Flexible Jobs for Full Time Students (PDF)
- Will Mobile Payments Set Your Small Business Free (PDF)